Our property & construction group works with companies, stakeholders and suppliers in your sector, providing tailored advisory services.
We understand key issues facing companies in the UK property and construction sector. How do we know? Because we work with clients who are facing similar challenges to you. These include:
Construction projects are high risk. They encounter huge fiscal requirements and unpredicted logistical challenges whether it is the construction of new office buildings or plant and production facilities. Under-estimating risk can lead to weak planning or the lack of skilled resources; this in turn could lead to poor decision-making and ultimately financial losses.
We also provide all the traditional services you would expect of a top 20 accountancy firm including:
We offer a partner led, risk based audit approach that will focus on understanding your business, its systems and controls. Our audits are designed to deliver painless compliance for clients. We use an intergrated efficient and risk based approach giving the highest level of assurance to owners and shareholders with minimum disruption to your day to day business.
The elements of the tax compliance will comprise:
- Preparation of the tax computations in support of the accounts disclosure
- Notification to you of the amounts of corporation tax due
- Finalisation of the tax computations and returns for submission to HMRC
Tax advisory and planning
We understand the demands of managing your tax affairs and we have clear focus on helping you through the complexities of the tax cycle. We recognise that every business is different and has different attitudes to tax planning. Areas where we specialise, particularly with property and construction companies, include the following:
- Research and development (R&D)
- R&D is clearly a tax credit worth claiming and we have a very strong R&D team focussing on the SME market. R&D is relevant to the property and construction sector and we have a number of case studies where our team has managed to obtain tax credits for construction companies using technology in new buillding materials, green and eco housing, and new construction processes and techniques. Our fees are contingent upon a successful claim for tax savings. Read our R&D flyer.
- Capital allowances
- We work with quantity surveyors and building contractors to maximise the tax relief by way of capital allowances on buildings, new or existing.
- VAT for the property and construction sector in the UK is an extremely complex area which requires advice based on the facts of each project. We have specialists in VAT that can provide the necessary advice and planning on these matters. We can involve our VAT specialists and often find imaginative solutions to problems and identify innovative ways to recover VAT for our clients.
- Personal taxation
- We take a view that it is impossible to provide the best tax advice to companies without also taking into account the interests and tax status of the shareholders. Our approach is to provide a genuinely holistic tax advisory service to minimise both corporate and personal taxes.
- Employment status and CIS tax claims
- Land remediation tax relief claims
- SDLT (Stamp Duty Land Tax) planning
- Options to tax on leases
- Transfers of going concerns
- Restructuring of ownership
- Inheritance tax, capital gains tax, and entrepreneurs' relief
- International tax, overseas properties, transfer planning
Other services that we offer focussing on the property and construction sector include:
- Corporate finance
- CV Capital LLP is a dedicated team of corporate finance specialists that work together with our Chantrey Vellacott DFK audit, accounts and tax advisors advising clients on a wide range of projects. There is a range of financial, tax and strategic issues to be considered whether you are thinking of selling or acquiring a company; disposing of an underperforming asset or non core part of your business; or exiting a private equity investment. The team can assist you with performing due diligence, funding growth and succession planning, product development and FSA work.
- Compensation, incentive schemes and remuneration planning
- We have specialists that can advise on strategy and implementation of management incentive schemes, including share options and EMI schemes.
- Strategic consulting
- We have an excellent team of consultants that are able to support strategy and change management in your business, either on a formal project or less formal brainstorming.
- Litigation support and forensics
- The property and construction sector is the most litigious sector resulting in many disputes. We can assist with loss claims through to court.
We offer a value added service to encourage clients to contact us at any time with queries as they arise. A list of key members can be found at the top of this page, each of them would be pleased to discuss any of the above services in more detail with you.